Back to Blog
3 Great Spring Recipes
Spring is here! After months of winter, new fruits and vegetables are making their way to markets and it’s time for some new spring recipes. We’ve listed three simple recipes that anyone can make – and that are perfect to celebrate the change of seasons.
This dish can be served as an appetizer for a crowd or as a light dinner. Made with asparagus during its spring season, it’s an elegant meal your dinner guests will love!
Start to finish: 45 minutes
Serves: 4 (or more as an appetizer portion)
Flour, for work surface
1 sheet frozen puff pastry
5 1/2 ounces (2 cups) Gruyere cheese, shredded
1 1/2 pounds medium or thick asparagus
1 tablespoon olive oil
Salt and pepper
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly flour a clean working surface and roll out the puff pastry into a 16-by-10-inch rectangle. Trim so that edges are even and transfer pastry to a large baking sheet. Mark a rectangle and score pastry dough 1 inch in from the edges. Pierce dough with a fork inside the rectangle at 1/2-inch intervals. Bake for 15 minutes, until golden brown.
2. While crust is baking, trim tough ends from asparagus so they will fit crosswise inside the tart shell. Remove pastry shell from oven (leaving the oven on), and sprinkle with Gruyere. Top with asparagus arranged in a single layer, alternating ends and tips. Season with salt and pepper and lightly brush with oil. Return to oven and bake until spears are tender, 20 to 25 minutes. Serve immediately.
This pasta dish, with its springtime list of ingredients, is a pleasant change from the normal pasta and tomato sauce
Start to finish: 30 minutes
12 ounces spaghetti
1/3 cup white wine or dry vermouth
1 clove garlic, smashed
2 wide strips lemon zest
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, thinly sliced
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
Freshly ground pepper
1 medium head escarole, torn into 1-inch pieces, or 6 heaping cups torn spinach
1/2 pound sugar snap peas (about 2 cups), halved
1/4 pound prosciutto, torn into pieces
1/4 cup roughly chopped fresh parsley
2 to 4 ounces pecorino Romano cheese, shaved
1. Bring to a rolling boil a large pot of salted water. Add spaghetti and cook according to label directions.
2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat the wine, garlic and lemon zest over medium-high heat until simmering. Lower the heat to medium-low and add the butter a slice at a time, whisking to incorporate. Add olive oil and stir until thickened. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add the escarole or spinach and cook for about 3 minutes, until greens are wilted, then the snap peas for 2-3 minutes more. Remove from heat and discard the garlic and lemon zest.
3. Drain the spaghetti, reserving 1/2 cup cooking water, then add spaghetti to the skillet. Toss to combine, adding cooking water as needed to loosen the sauce. Add more salt if needed. Move to a large serving dish or individual bowls, then garnish with the prosciutto, parsley and pecorino. Serve immediately.
This translates to “crazy strawberry,” and you might think this dessert is crazy when you read the ingredients list. The flavor combination totally works, however, and this is a unique, seasonal end to a meal that your guests will rave about! Make sure you use high-quality balsamic vinegar for best results.
Start to finish: 20 minutes
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons white sugar
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 pints fresh strawberries, hulled and quartered
1 ounce (1 square) unsweetened chocolate, grated, or to taste
1. In a medium serving bowl, combine balsamic vinegar, sugar, and black pepper. Add strawberries and mix to coat well with the marinade. Cover and store in the refrigerator until chilled, at least 10 minutes, but you can store up to overnight. Grate chocolate over top before you serve.
Earn Kitchen Gifts Every Tuesday at Isle of Capri®!
For all these great recipes, you’ll need equally great kitchenware, and we’ve got you covered! Participate in our Earn & Get Kitchen Gift Giveaways every week to earn new kitchenware items you can use for these recipes or your own spring time favorites!
Earn & Get Kitchen Gifts Details
Tuesdays, April 4 – 25
3pm – 7pm
Earn 300 tier points or have two hours of rated play and receive a free kitchen gift*.
*Max of one gift earned per guest. While supplies last.