National Chicken Month
According to the Washington Post, poultry is expected to become the world’s most consumed meat, and for good reason! Chicken might just be one of the most perfect foods ever. It’s nutritious, packed with protein and super delicious, no matter which way you cook it. It’s no wonder there is a whole entire month devoted to this beautiful bird. August marks National Chicken Month and, here at Lady Luck Casino® Nemacolin, we’ll be celebrating too!
Fried Chicken is a staple comfort food in the United States. But it has a long deep history with other countries that span back to ancient times. Asia and Europe ate fried chicken often. During Medieval times, fried chicken was served regularly. Scottish immigrants have been credited with introducing fried chicken to America.
Chicken is an excellent meat to prepare at home because it’s lean and packs a high amount of protein. It’s great for achieving health goals, but it’s also an excellent food choice because it can help keep you full for hours. There’s nothing more frustrating than eating something and being hungry two seconds later. However, not everyone is a gourmet chef and can whip up thousands of creative chicken ideas. Here are three tips on how you can spice up your chicken dishes from home.
- Marinate It: Hands down, marinating is one of the best things you can do for chicken. Marinating the chicken infuses a lot of flavor into your chicken, while preventing it from becoming too dry. Try this on for size. Mix olive oil, ¼ cup of lemon juice, ¼ cup of white vinegar, and 1 tablespoon each of dried parsley and basil. Add in a ½ teaspoon of dried oregano, garlic powder, salt, cracked black pepper and a dash of chopped garlic. Dip your chicken into the mixture and let it sit for 10 minutes. Voila! Chicken perfection.
- Stuff It: Stuffing your chicken can really take your chicken to the next level. It’s not nearly as time consuming as you would think. All you have to do is flatten the chicken with a mallet. Then fold in your preferred ingredients. We recommend light vegetables like broccoli or spinach, to strike a balance between the thickness of the meat. But you can use just about anything. Fold over the sides, and then bake for 30 minutes. Yum.
- Bread It: Breaded chicken is absolutely delicious! The coating from the breadcrumbs allows you to keep the moisture of the chicken, while delivering a gratifying crunch. It’s the perfect balance of texture. Simply dip your chicken breast into egg whites, your preferred seasonings and panko breadcrumbs. Then pop it into the oven for 10-15 minutes. Score!
In honor of chicken month, we’ve crafted some poultry dishes of our own that are sure to satisfy your appetite.
- Double Fried Wings: Rubbed or sauced, celery sticks, ranch or bleu cheese. Rubbed or Cajun, seasoned salt, garlic Parmesan. Sauced or mild buffalo, Asian, habanero jelly and chipotle BBQ. Five for $6.99 or 10 for $10.00. (Also available at The Lone Wolf Express.)
- Blackened Chicken Sandwich: Cajun chicken with bleu cheese. $8.99
- Chicken Bianco: Pan-fried, white wine mushroom sauce. $16.99. Add on a Pittsburgh salad with mixed greens, tomato, cucumbers, sweet onions and cheese. You can also substitute your chicken for steak. Chicken $9.99. Steak $12.99. (Also available at The Lone Wolf Express.)
- Chicken Tender Platter: Buttermilk marinated tenders and French fries, onion rings or coleslaw. $9.99
National Chicken Month is almost up. Stop by today to try out our chicken dishes before these deals fly away. Cheesy we know, but we couldn’t resist.